Monday, July 25, 2011

Hot Then Cold

Monday blues? No way! I've been having the greatest day. I was able to get my thrift store shopping on. It's so amazing how many great things you can find for so cheap. I typically like to find vintage handkerchiefs, cute dishes/plates, and if I'm lucky a cute top! Today was definitely a success. But all that shopping in the heat made me crave something..something chilled..something delicious..something..oh yeah something like soba! Oh, how they play with all my flavor senses..the chewiness, deliciousness...drool.. I simply adore soba noodles. For those who do not know what soba is, well it's basically a Japanese noodle made of buckwheat flour. Soba noodle can be used in varieties of hot broth..or for hot days, like that one I'm having today, it can simply be chilled and dipped in tsuyu(sweet soy sauce). Tsuyu can be found in most Asian supermarkets but make sure it's vegetarian friendly because some might be flavored with fish.
To make my dish even more special I added mushrooms, spinach, sliced cucumbers, and also pickled radish. 

I first pan fried spinach and mushrooms with sesame oil and sea salt..set aside and let it chill for a bit.
Boiled water and cooked the soba for 5 mins
Grated cucumbers and radish
Finish off the dish with a sprinkle of nori and sesame seeds.








Time for dessert! Hmm..perhaps a popsicle?

1 comment:

  1. yummay! your soba noodles look delish! what a perfect choice after shopping around in the heat.

    ReplyDelete